Old August 5th 09, 10:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Eugene Miya

Default Why only ski Europe?

In article ,
Florian Anwander wrote:
Davos: Another broad cold valley. Another valley you need an
automobile for to move between lift Talstations.

Note to any one building a resort: You need to make sure that you can
ski between all the valley stations, and all of the hotels. This means
that the hotels need to be scattered around the lower flanks of the
valley so you can ski to them, then ski away from them down to a lift
station.

Davos - as all european resorts - is a grown village with a historically
long architectural experience. This experience told the people, where to
build safely and where to avoid buildings (at the avalanche desaster of
Galtür many people died, because their houses were built to close to the
flanks; the center of the village was not affected - it is located,
where the the people know that they are safe)

Davos has the Swiss Federal research center for the study of snow and
ice and avalanches in particular.

A friend did a sabbatical there. A good skier, ironically, he broke his
leg early that ski season, then had to take the funicular with his
broken leg up to his office which had an incredible valley view.

I saw what I regarded as one of the funniest Snickers ads ever and was
tempted to ask them for the poster (huge), but only people with even a
bare knowledge of the history of Swiss/Alpine climbing could get the joke.

Snickers bar with the words underneath:
Eiger nordwand? Snickers mit peanuts.

Photo on my call phone camera.
--