Old August 21st 06, 09:27 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

Default Ski safari ideas

On 18 Aug 2006 09:44:13 -0700, "SteveH"
wrote:

Looking at the map and based on my fairly limited knowledge of the area
it looks like there might be an intersting possibility of linking the
Monterosa area / Macugnaga / Sass-Fee / Zermatt & Cervinia and then
back to Monterosa. Is this do-able?

There's certainly potential for ski safaris linking up Alagna,
Gressoney, Champoluc et al, with some superb skiing en-route. Whether
you can actually hike over to the Zermatt side without spending a lot
more time that you want skinning & climbing I'm not so sure.

I know with a heli-drop you can ski down to Zermatt and then back to
Champoluc in a day

Indeed, and a very worthwhile day it can be too.

but I'm thinking of
a more wandering itinerary over a few days.

Just checking in the book (Polvere Rosa) of routes in the MonteRosa
area, I'm fairly sure that the only way you could get over would be
the Col de Lyss (Letch) at 4250m, climbing up from the Puanta Indren
at about 3500m. The book reckons this is about a 3 hour climb, but is
serious mountaineering and needs crampons, ropes and, I imagine from
what you've said, a qualified guide.

So just bite the bullet and get a heli-drop onto the top instead -
there are several routes down to Zermatt, but you'll need a guide
anyway, as it's glacier for much of the way down, and there _are_
crevasses.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)