Old November 30th 10, 01:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Ben Kaufman

Default Converting race files for TV viewing

Could you please post the URL for the videos? It sounds like these can finally
be played directly on my computer (using apple video player).

Thanks.

Ben

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 01:06:16 -0700, wrote:

Should mention that I use a USB stick to avoid having to mess with
CD/DVDs.

Gene

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 01:03:02 -0700
wrote:

BasilBrush seems to be using a different format for his files this
year: .mp4 with a resolution of 832x468. The Philips DVD player hooked
to my HDTV doesn't support this codec or that resolution via a
straight conversion to an .avi file. I've been experimenting with
video converters for this purpose and found a few good free choices
and ways of doing it (not all converters do a good job, even when
theoretically they should):

- convert to .wmv or mpeg at 640x480 or 720x480 - this gives the same
quality full screen video, but the file sizes are three to four times
the original - Pazera's MP4-to-AVI converter does MPEG and is fast;
FVD Suite (fairly fast) and Super (much slower) are good for both
formats

- convert to mpeg via NTSC-SVCD or NTSC-VCD - these produce very
watchable full screen video though with slightly reduced clarity; the
advantage is file sizes are only a bit bigger than the originals -
I use Pazera's for this

- convert to DivX or Xvid .avi at 640x480 - this gives very good
quality, but shows on TV formatted slightly smaller than a 16x9, i.e.,
with a border all around (not just top and bottom); expanding it to
full screen still looks acceptably good

Pazera's -
http://www.pazera-software.com/products/
FVD Suite - http://www.flashvideodownloader.org/fvd-suite/