Old February 25th 05, 07:31 PM
bri719

todd wrote:

I don't think so. You want a cleaner that isn't soap, I believe. Go
in an outdoor store, they'll have something. Here is a description of
Nikwax's TechWash product;

WHY USE NIKWAX TECH WASH?

Tech Wash is a non-detergent, biodegradable cleaner that removes
dirt and detergent residue while leaving the fabric's water-repellency
intact. When garments are laundered in detergent, a water-attractive
residue is left behind The hydrophilic(water loving) molecules of the
residue mask the effectiveness of the garments durable water-repellency
(DWR). This causes the fabric to 'wet out' prematurely. All waterproof
breathable fabrics rely on the DWR to optimize their performance. Tech
Wash more than doubles the life of the DWR. Tech wash will also remove
water attractive residues left from other detergent washings.

I'm gonna go get some of that stuff (or whatever equivalent they have at
REI) during lunch and try it out....sounds pretty good!

my good ol' boarding pants don't really repel water too much anymore --
especially the upper part of my legs. I was getting ready to coat them
with spray waterproofer for a solution to the problem, but I'll try that
kinda stuff first and see if it does the trick. I've washed them 5-10
times before using normal detergent (powder), so maybe that's an issue.

thx for the tip.
bri

--

* enjoying the karma *