Old April 25th 05, 02:03 PM
VtSkier

yunlong wrote:
foot2foot wrote:

"yunlong" wrote in message
groups.com...

foot2foot wrote:

Crossover is extension at the moment of edge change.

I don't really use the terms, but I think that "crossover"
may refer to weight shifting from downhill [ski] to uphill
[ski], OVER the skis.

Crossunder is retraction/flexion at the moment of edge change.

And "crossunder" is referring to the skis, which sway from
side to side UNDER the body.

Different terms, nevertheless, both techniques are used to
facilitate to finish the turn on the uphill ski so the skier
can start/link the next turn.

I pulled this out of the "toe pressure is crap" thread.

It was my thread. I can start another one if I want to.

Insist on either term without knowing its functionality is a
fixation.

Yun, you may need to join the twentieth century and use the
terms "inside ski and outside ski". That way people will know
what you mean, sort of at least.

But you don't think that "the twentieth century" people should learn
the terms "uphill ski and downhill ski" to reflect the skiing
environment, and to catch up their incomplete knowledge?

"Insist on either term without knowing its functionality is a
fixation."

Okay, what the hell. The rest of the poasts on this NG
are total crap. This seems to be the only skiing related
post so I'll bite.

IMO we need to know BOTH terms. Inside/outside ski has
a TURN as its reference. Uphill/downhill ski has the fall
line as its reference. At times they are both the same and
at times they are not. Sometimes Uphill/downhill ski has
no reference at all to a turn as in a traverse. Sometimes
the uphill ski and the outside ski are the same, as at
the beginning of a turn. Sometimes downhill ski and the
outside ski are the same, as at the end of a turn but
before you initiate the next turn.

I know, it's all very complicated, but with mileage, it
all becomes automatic and the words recede into
nothingness.

VtSkier