Old February 9th 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe, uk.rec.motorcycles
TOG@Toil

Default Paging Ace - you are now permitted to smile

On 9 Feb, 19:10, "platypus" wrote:
Brownz (Mobile) wrote:
TOG@Toil wrote:
The snow in the Pyrenees is crap, for the second year running, while
it's great in the Alps. Casting around without much hope for a cheap
catered chalet last-minute bargain in the Alps at half-term (next
weekend), I found (to my surprise) that there are more than a few,
discounted to half price.

Like £300 a head, and yes, room for four or more, in Val d'Isere.
Oufit called Finlays, if anybody knows anything about them

A quick bit of thinking. There's a mere 40cm of snow at altitude in
the Pyrenees, and the forecast for the whole of next week is for
temperatures of up to 10. One downward spike mid-week, and one cm of
snow on that date.

We've got flights booked, and a hire car waiting for us at Toulouse
Airport. So we've cancelled the hotel in St Lary and we're heading
north-east instead of south-west. Anybody know how long it takes to
drive Toulouse-Val?

Eww... nasty.

I think you'll have to skirt the coast, e.g. Carcassonne - Narbonne -
Nimes - Orange - Valence - Grenoble - Val

Which is between 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 depending on your speed.

Google maps say "697 km - about 6 hours 48 mins".

Hm. 435 miles. Gotta be under six hours. It is a hire car, after all.
The alternative was binning the flights and hire car and driving out
ourselves.