Old January 2nd 15, 02:05 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Mammoth land swap means new Main Lodge and Inn

I remember back in the days before cell phones (at least before cell phone coverage at Mammoth) how hard it was to find a pay phone that worked. Now they have wi-fi in all the buildings.

Other Mammoth features at risk - metal utensils and china plates in the cafeteria, and free parking. (Pave paradise, and put up a parking lot). I was not unhappy that they upgraded the lifts to HSQ and HS6, but I didn't like the way they widened some trails (cough - Stump Alley) so much that they wiped out the trees separating them from other trails.

Maybe they can declare the original Main Lodge (or some features of it, like the stone fireplace wall) as historic structures and include them in the new building.

I recall a time in the 60's when all the new lodges going up in New England were kind of fake-sawmill style.