Old November 13th 03, 04:30 PM
BrritSki

Default Newbie question - Please help

Mike wrote:

Hello,

I have never gone skiing before, but I would like to try this year.

I have 2 questions, I hope someone can help me out with, I apologize
in advance, if you get these all the time.

1. What is the purpose of googles? Does the snow really fly into your
eyes? Do people ski without them?
2. I wear glasses...I assume I rent googles/skis at the resort. Would
I be able to wear googles over my glasses?

The snow does fly into your eyes if you are doing it right !

Normally a beginner won't be going fast enough to be troubled by snow in
the eyes unless it is actually snowing, but if that's the case what you
really need is goggles with lenses that will help you see the snow
surface. A white-out can be VERY disorientating for anyone. If it's that
bad though, a beginner woul dbe better off quitting.

The other reason though is eye protection when it's sunny. The sunlight
is more intense higher up plus you get it reflected back off the snow
too, so you need really good high-factor goggles or glasses. If you go
for the latter, make sure they really fit well so the light can't get in
round the edges - personally I use glacier glasses which have a very
high pf lens and leather edging - I have lovely panda eyes at the end of
the week ! You may already have some prescription sunglasses that are
good enough, but probably not.

I think some goggles will fit over some glasses but it's not a problem I
have fortunately - I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to
advise. I think that some people have prescription goggles, you'll need
those when the bug has bitten you