Old February 1st 04, 11:34 PM
Sarissa

Default pole length question

Is that on or off skis?......etc
Sarissa

Gene Goldenfeld wrote:

Griss wrote:

Classic/striding: pole should be somewhere between armpit and top of
shoulder. I've settled on pretty much lower mid point - definitely shorter
than the shoulder, but very, very snug when forced up under the armpit.

I found your introductory discussion good, but this specific classical
one is why I suggest students walk out if someone starts the armpit
measurement. If you stop and think about the soft skin there, varying
arm angles, and vague descriptions like the one above, then it's clear
that the armpit can generate very different measurements. "Mid
shoulder" is common, top of the shoulder ok if the sloping shoulder
angle is recognized, but the bone on the side of the shoulder is easily
identifiable and, according to Marty Hall, the max. Occasionally, I'll
hear or see longer recs, but one concern is that the poles not be so
long that the skier is forced too upright.

Gene