Old December 30th 03, 10:08 PM
Gary Jacobson

Default Salomon 9 vs Carbon

As a related question, I see that the current yellow and black 9's are
colored opposite to what they were before the carbon came out. (e.g.
whatever parts used to be yellow are now black and vice versa). Other than
that, I can't see any difference between the new 9s and the 9s of two

years
ago - is there any difference other than switching the black and yellow in
the color?

I just did a careful side by side comparison of my old yellow and the newest
blak ones. No discernable difference.

Another boot that I've seen on the Salomon system is the Sportful. They

look
like decent boots but are quite a bit cheaper. I can't do side by side
comparisons w/ Salomon, and can't find info on weights for any of these
boots. Any experience with these?

I have owned Artex, which are proto Sportful, and NNN. Excellent quality.
Would Sportful go back to NNN after switching to Solomon? I hope so.
Be careful that the sole of the Sportful is a true racing sole. They have
some versions with nice uppers but heavy rubberlike soles.

Finally, I might just take the plunge and switch systems. Are there any
relative advantages to the top of the line Alpina or Rossignol (the only
others available locally).

I really object to the complex and costly Pilot system, and am happy with
thr NNN and Rossi skate set up. Rossi is more a minimal boot than the
Alpina. I believe that most skate boots are way overbuilt. I think that
classic boots may be underbuilt. Also, I want to comment that maybe the more
flexible carbon sole of the Solomon high end classic boot is not best for
some people. I benefit from a stiffer sole, and am forever searching for a
classic or minimal combi boot with a stiff sole. Anyone with arthritic toes,
or maybe anyone who skis a lot, would benefit from stiffness in the sole as
it take the load off the toe joints. I can understand for racing that a
flexible sole in the toe area that is torsionally stiff is ideal.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Thanks for your help.

Grizzy