Old January 19th 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bert Root

Default How Young can a snowboarder be?

"dengel" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've been riding for a while, and have recently had my first kid - a
wonderful little daughter. I want to get her started as young as
possible in the sport, so that we can go as a family (my wife rides
too). Obviously age 0 is too young , but what is the consensus (if
any) on lower-limit ages for kids and snowboards? It isn't a question
I've ever had to consider before.

Training is already beginning, of sorts, in the form of general balance
training and stimulation of the vestibular system via spinning and
stopping, jumping, etc. But I've seen very young kids on skis; I'm not
sure how young a snowboarder can be.

A friend of mine was told 10 for kids due to the strength required in the
legs to board. I have found kids as young as three being taught skiing
though. My friends son is 7 and was taking lessons when 6 and he handles
himself quite well though he is a fairly hefty young lad and has no problems
with stamina when out on the hill all morning. My daughter is currently just
two and will be coming next winter after a break for us of two years so will
see how she gets on with skis for a couple or more years and give her a
board when she feels ready.

((((º Bert Root® º))))