Old August 21st 06, 12:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
SteveH

Default Ski safari ideas

Ace wrote:
Just checking in the book (Polvere Rosa) of routes in the MonteRosa
area, I'm fairly sure that the only way you could get over would be
the Col de Lyss (Letch) at 4250m, climbing up from the Puanta Indren
at about 3500m. The book reckons this is about a 3 hour climb, but is
serious mountaineering and needs crampons, ropes and, I imagine from
what you've said, a qualified guide.

Cheers Ace, great minds and all that... I forgot about this little book
- I came across it last night and read up on exactly this route. I
think you're right, it's a proper mountaineering trip up via the
Gniffeti(sp?) refuge. I'd actually be happy doing this as I've done
plenty of alpine climbing, but this kind of stuff might put some of my
ski partners off:-)

So just bite the bullet and get a heli-drop onto the top instead -
there are several routes down to Zermatt, but you'll need a guide
anyway, as it's glacier for much of the way down, and there _are_
crevasses.

If I was heading to Zermatt directly then I'd do this. I think we've
discussed it before on this group and you pursauded me me to give it a
go a couple of years back, sadly the weather didn't cooperate at the
time:-( I've tried to do it twice now and It's still on my to-do list !

However, my (tentative) plan in this case was to ski from Alagna to
Macugnaga and then over to Saas-Fe (with a night in Macugnaga). After a
bit of surfing I've found out that it's possible to get a lift up from
Macugnaga and ski down the Swiss side without any hiking or skinning.
However, the only way to get to Macugnaga from Alagna seems to involve
a pretty long skin from. There are possible routes starting from Punta
Indren, but these require a lot of climbing as you mentioned and the
decents on the Macugnaga side are very serious. They are listed in
Pulva Rosa in the back of the book... the section on extreme skiing:-o
Marinelli couloir anyone?

Steve