Old August 18th 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Eugene Miya

Default Ski safari ideas

In article .com,
SteveH wrote:
I'm pondering the idea of a ski safari type adventure this coming
winter.

I just did this.

I just thought I'd post this to see if anyone has any interesting ideas
for DIY safaris.

Oh, some of this is covered in the book Ski Europe (in double digit
editions). Cross border and cross resort trips. There are other books.

For what it's worth my definition of a ski safari is a ski trip
spanning several resorts with most or all of the travel by ski, but
with the minimum of uphill skinning / boot packing - lets say roughly
no more than 1 hour's uphill on any given day - the aim is to use lifts
and roads to gain height (I guess that's the main difference between a
safari and "proper" ski touring). Accomodation could be either hotels,
B&Bs etc in the valley and/or mountain huts. By definition they involve
a lot of off-piste skiing:-)

Looking at the map and based on my fairly limited knowledge of the area
it looks like there might be an intersting possibility of linking the
Monterosa area / Macugnaga / Sass-Fee / Zermatt & Cervinia and then
back to Monterosa. Is this do-able? I know with a heli-drop you can ski

Tail end of some Haute Route trips.
down to Zermatt and then back to Champoluc in a day but I'm thinking of
a more wandering itinerary over a few days.