Old December 7th 07, 12:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
helibrdr

Default Little Kids Snowboards?

wrote in message
On Dec 6, 5:34 pm, Speedskater wrote:
Where can I learn more about boards for little kids. A 40 pound (18kg) 3
and 1/2 year old has out grown (skill wise) his department store plastic
board. The ski area requires metal edges and a safety strap but don't
rent that small.

That's unusually young to be snowboarding, which is why you're finding
it hard to locate equipment. Most places start junior snowboarders out
at older ages than skiers. E.g, at my local ski area the minimum age
for snowboarding lessons is 6; for skiers it's 4.

Joe Ramirez

I tend to agree. I had my kids start with skiing (as painful as that may be)
and then switch to boarding when they weighed enough to pressure an edge and
learn correctly. That was between 6-8 for my kids. However, the Burton
Chopper 90 lists a weight range of 35-45 pounds so I assume it is designed
flexible enough for that weight range. At the rate my kids grow I didn't
want to buy a board until they got to a point where the needed it (about
10). Of course if you have more than one kid and can hand it down.....
Have fun