Old March 17th 05, 02:02 PM
telewhacker

I just bought some Solda Power Jet 1 and after ironing it on, or
rubbing it on then corking, I 'm getting this very dry gray look to

the
base. After skiing it is even worse taking on the characteristics of

really thirsty base. When ironing I make 1-2 quick passes, then cork,
brush, and polish. The rub on method I use is the same without the
ironing step. The skis are deathly slow with no release. I'm trying
figure what all the hype of pure fluro is. Has anyone else had
experience such as this? The skis have a recent quality stone grind,

so
I'm ruling out a sealed base. Moreover, the quick pass of the iron at
medium heat isn't sealing the base. Any thought would be appreciated.
Finally, I would get the same results from Swix Cera F.

I have had the same effect. I use the same protocol: rub- cork- heat
(sometimes)- brush- polish. I get some areas with a dull grey look to
them. It doesn't look "dry" as much as a waxy-greyish-buildup. No, I am
not sealing the bases as the iron temp is closer to Rex Blue than Start
Green. But since it doesn't seem to degrade the glide of the ski I
don't worry about it. If I re-grind the skis this year I assume it will
go away.

As for glide, mine is comparable to or better than everyone else's at
the front of the field.

If your skis are deathly slow I would wonder A) What are you putting on
under the PJ? B) How thick are you crayoning it on? This is an
overlayer. C) How much prep waxing did you do prior to race waxing?
8-10 layers is the minimum. D) You are not brushing with the Swix
Bronze (Brass?) Brush- the brush of death?