Old January 10th 05, 06:09 PM

Champ wrote:
That's cos yanks are weenies :-)

Recent research has concluded that concussions result in permanent brain
damage. In other words you get stupider. That applies to brain injuries
from soccer, football, snowboarding, skiing, etc.

If you've seen as many people taken off ski resorts (and ice skating
rinks) with concussions or other head injuries as I have then you might
have a different opinion about wearing a helmet. My most vivid memory,
which is what resulted in my wearing a helmet, was a mother frantically
trying to find the closest medical facility after her daughter (about
10) fell and hit her head while skiing. Based on the kid's behavior, she
had a bad concussion.

Shortly after I started wearing a helmet I nearly got hit in the head
with skis while standing by the lodge before I got on the snow. The skis
were over a person's shoulder. The person turned. I saw the skis
(head-high motion) in my peripheral vision and ducked. Had I not ducked
the helmet that was already on my head would have prevented a headache
and a lacerated scalp.

Another time I nearly got hit in the head by a chair while exiting and
trying to avoid the pile of people at the bottom of the exit ramp after
people two or three chairs in front of my chair fell. The stupid lift
operator didn't stop the lift and people kept piling into each other. I
probably should have stayed on the chair and tripped the emergency off
switch.

Dean