Old January 6th 05, 11:05 AM
Richard and Barbara

Default Zermatt Grooming Problem

We are Americans who have been skiing annually in Zermatt for more than 20
years. We love the Village and the skiing. We have many friends who visit
annually as we do, and many friends who live in the Village. The
improvements to the lift system are absolutely great. BUT, there is a big
problem, and everyone who knows the area is talking about it. Grooming of
the pistes has clearly been reduced. Wide trails have become narrower.
Pistes that should be open, remained closed after a big snowfall. Moguls
were not smoothed over on blue pistes. All of this is hurting Zermatt.
Experts aside, a reputation for poor grooming will keep visitors away.
Everyone assumes that the lack of grooming is a money saving measure taken
after the merger of three competing transport systems. Before the merger,
grooming was extensive so as to keep skiers from moving to a competing area.

Over this past Christmas, Zermatt had great snow, but the Village was not
full of visitors. Unless they improve the grooming, that trend will
continue.

Richard and Barbara