Old September 2nd 05, 06:02 PM

Rich Heimlich wrote:
I no longer shop at places that check my bag and receipt when I leave.

This is almost what I suggested about giving your business to areas
that will explicitly offer their services on terms that are agreeable
to you. Vote with you feet and your pocketbook instead of secretly
violating their rules. Let them know why you are choosing to go
somewhere else.

What's been made quite clear from the two places I've discussed this
is that A) theft via the use of another persons lift ticket is
seemingly a large problem. B) The policy of attaching the lift ticket
to a seemingly permanent location is apparently not resolving the
problem.

I would guess that it does reduce the amount of lift ticket fraud, but
that it is not perfect because there will always be some who will go to
great lengths to be able to share their lift tickets. I would not be
surprised to hear that some people would go so far as to share their
ski outfits, switching jackets, pants, boots, or whatever it takes.

Are you suggesting that if you come upon a parking meter that has
extra time on it that you drive to a new location to find another
meter with no remaining time on it? grin Why should the mountain be
the only one to benefit in our mutual relationship? I paid for X hours
of skiing. X hours of skiing would be used

Well, that is a fine rationalization, but those are not the terms on
which most ski areas offer their services. I do remember reading that
there were some ski areas that were offering lift tickets where they
charged either by the number of chair rides or the number of vertical
feet. I don't remember the details since I never skied at those areas,
and I don't even know if they are still doing it.

BTW, some cities have installed parking meters that reset themselves
when the space is vacated.