Old February 17th 04, 10:49 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default Skating and bonking

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:09:32 -0500, "Onno Oerlemans"
wrote:

I only stopped taking in lots of warm gatoraid late
in the race. I was perhaps overconfident
because I'd had a huge dinner (So
Good Chinese restaurant--best Chinese food in Ottawa!!)

What restaurant? There is good Chinese food in that city. We had a
really good meal last year at a place on Dalhousie Street but I am
always on the lookout for good food.

and a huge breakfast
(Kettleman's Bagels!!!!).

For me, the optimal fueling for a long race involves eating and
drinking a lot for several days before the event and the morning of.
THe night before I try to top everything off with a snack that makes
me sleepy and has some calories before bed -- like something with milk
or soymilk.

And then in the morning it is critical for me to have protein and fat
in addition to carbohydrates. Like eggs and a little bit of ham with
bagels.

For the Keskinada I had good morning fueling whcih included three
boiled eggs, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, a banana, a small
amount (a half a cup) of fried rice from the previous night's meal and
a few tiny pieces of chicken leftovers. And at least 40 ounces of
sports drink and diluted fruit juice.

I say that fueling was good because I only bonked *slightly*, at the
very end of the event....I know I didn't take in enough fuel during
the race. That Gatorade from the feed zones does not seem to have
enough carbs and I only drank half my bottle of thick sports drink due
to the top freezing.

JT