Old March 27th 06, 11:41 PM

[ Hal Murray ]
I don't think of Romania as a skiing destination. How high
are the mountains? Where is treeline? Which part of the country
are the mountains in?

1) Reuters publishes a book on Worldwide skiing and snow boarding.
My copy is not at home, but up at my Tahoe place.

2) A couple of people from Tahoe have a TV series and web site
Passport to Adventure (.com) with a number of episodes on Eastern
European skiing (including the Caucauses). Of course you want to avoid
hot zones. Helos are used a lot.

In article ,
Martin Thornquist wrote:
Not that I know very much about Romania, but I went to a friend's
wedding there last summer (in Miercurea Ciuc) and toured around
Transilvania for a few days. The winters can be cold in Transilvania,

days, but I wouldn't plan on going there for a (set) week and expect
good conditions without a fair amount of luck. Nice (but poor) country
though, very cheap living and good local beer. Possible to get around
speaking English, but definitely a plus to have someone speaking
Romanian (and/or Hungarian in the Northwestern part).

-20C and colder while I was in the Alps.

China will be the next big future ski destination if the Austrians have
anything to influence it.