Old October 26th 03, 10:59 PM
Alex Heney

Default RFD: create unmoderated newsgroup uk.rec.skiing

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 11:39:02 +0000, Colin Irvine
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 23:58:15 +0000 (UTC), Alex Heney
wrote:

snip
There is enough traffic for one group. It is doubtful
whether there will be enough traffic to keep two groups active, and it
is possible that spreading it across two groups will lead to both
becoming unused.

Can I just say that I think that is absolute crap. What if there is only
enough traffic for one group? We'll all want to post somewhere - sooner
or later it'll sort itself out.

I'm not convinced. I do think the most likely outcome is that there
will be effectively no change. That the proposed new group just won't
get enough traffic to be viable because most of the people currently
using RSRE will stay there.

But "most likely" does not mean that it is by any means sure, and that
is what worries me. I cannot see any benefit to the new group, but can
see a possible (not probable) downside.

Stop trying to make the world behave the
way you want it to.

No.

That is what a discussion, possibly followed by voting, process are
for.

Try and change my view, by all means, using reasoned argument. But
please don't tell me not to participate in this discussion/vote. Which
is what that last sentence of yours boils down to.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Building Contractors, not to be confused with homemakers

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom