Old December 29th 05, 05:58 PM

klh wrote:

i think it says one item which is one bag of skies and one bag of boots
... not one pair of skies
interesting. would seem that together they count as one checked item.
need to enquire there and make sure that doesn't use up your two item
luggage limit, that is, if you are traveling peon class.

The various airlines have "different" yet similar rules.
Alaska/Horizon clearly define one as ONE PAIR. That said, I have flown
Horizon to Canada and Montana with more than one pair of XC skis, poles
etc but my ski bag doesn't weight more than the typical back of Alpine
skis. Keep the weight down and be kind to the luggage handler's back
and they are not likely to open the ski bag.

Alaska/Horizon's Domestic Contract of Carriage:
http://www.alaskaair.com/www2/compan...c_section5.asp
Skiing Equipment: Items of skiing equipment will be accepted as checked
baggage, will be included in determining the free baggage allowance,
and when in excess, each item will be subject to the excess baggage
charge for a single piece, whether or not presented as a single piece.
Skiing equipment must be packaged in a proper soft or hard
ski/snowboard bag. Limit of ONE PAIR of skis/snowboard, ONE PAIR of
poles, bindings and boots. Additional items shall count as excess
baggage.... [Emphasis (All Caps) added]

Alaska/Horizon's International Contract of Carriage re Skis is similar
to the Domestic
http://www.alaskaair.com/www2/compan..._section1K.asp

Other airlines have similar rules that exempt skis from the combined
length rule.

Edgar