Old October 25th 03, 05:50 PM
John Briggs

Default RFD: create unmoderated newsgroup uk.rec.skiing

PG wrote:
"John Briggs" wrote in message
PG wrote:
"John Briggs" wrote in message
David Off wrote:
John Briggs wrote:

Strictly speaking, those who are not interested in such a group and
would not take part in it, should not vote.

So only yes voters should take part in the vote... now I know where
Saddam Hussein's electorial commission have found work!

Well, certainly, if you have no interest in the uk.* hierarchy you
should not be voting "no".

Why's that? If someone is interested in preserving rsre from what he may
believe could result in unnecessary duplication and consequent dilution
of posters between groups, he is quite entitled to vote, imo.

The uk.* hierarchy is for existing and potential users of that hierarchy.
"Preserving" one's own preferred group is not a valid reason for
interfering in someone else's hierarchy. Has it it occurred to you that
something which needs "preserving" in this way, may not be worth
preserving?

If I am given a vote, then I'm entitled to use it. Your position is absurd
to my mind. My reasons for voting no go against the grain as far as you
are concerned, and you respond by suggesting that potential no-voters
shouldn't be able participate because they are "abusing the system"?
Nonsense - change the system if you're not happy.

You're not "given" a vote, you request it. I don't suggest you shouldn't be
able to take part - simply that you shouldn't.

Anyway, your argument is self-contradictory. On the one hand you say that
the uk. hierarchy is for potential users (such as myself) and then you say
that because I disagree with your position vis this particular group my
reasons for voting against are not valid. You can't have it both ways.

If you are a potential user, you are free to use it. Your voting reasons
can be invalud whether I agree with them or not.

Oh, and rsre is an excellent forum, if a little quiet during the summer
months (despite my efforts on the green stuff). Unlike some who have
suddenly taken an interest in this thread, I and most others who
contribute regularly to this forum actually practice the sport.

I see - and that is a pre-requisite for voting against the creation of
another forum?
--
John Briggs