Old April 28th 12, 12:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

Default Trying to revive grass skiing

nosnowski wrote:
'pigo[_2_ Wrote:
;168754']
I had friends that developed the grass skiing stuff in the 70's/80's
(?). It was something they messed around with but didn't get rich off
of. They were basically inline skates before they were called inline
skates. Now my buddy that developed those Easy Up shades? He made some
cash!

Getting rich was not really my motivation when I started thinking about
the problem of safe carving-like dry surface ski. As I mentioned earlier
having short ski seasons is quite a pain especially after moving to
Australia from Europe where I spent best part of my life and could ski
from December to April. Anyway, I realise that this is not the kind of
business that you can make millions on but I'd be happy if I could make
in it similar money that I am getting from my IT job. After spending 20
years in the IT industry I'm definitely more passionate about skiing
than my profession.

Tires or wheels do not simulate edges very easily. Speed + slope +
uneven surface = unsafe conditions
I see stopping as an issue, I think new england slopes and think sharp
rocks.
The other day we were discussing going off track on to the grass and it
feels like you are given a burst of acceleration but it is a case of no
friction being generation by the grass and it mentally appears that your
are going faster where you have just lost all your tire grip.

Being rich has its drawbacks, well IT salary is going down so you might
equal what you make from grass skis.