Old December 23rd 03, 05:00 PM
Bob

Default Trip report - Killington, Vermont - 22 Dec 2003

"Lew Lasher" wrote in message

I have to take issue with the system of trail measurement at Mountain
Meadows. They claim a total of over 55 km of trails. (More
specifically, they claim 55.75 km, a degree of overreaching in precision
exceeded only by the Blueberry Lake ski area in Warren, Vermont, which
gives trail measurements in meters.) The problem is that they mark
their trails in loops, not segments, and then add up all the loop
distances, even though many of the designated loops overlap. Mountain
Meadows isn't the only cross-country ski area that does this.
Mt-Ste-Anne in Québec does this, big time.

AFAIK they all exaggerate. Royal Gorge claims over 300k - HA!
I have an orienteering map in front of me and every trail that I measure is
listed at about 30% longer than it really is. I enjoy skiing RG but they do
the same double counting (e.g. Big Ben is really 1.1k. They count it as 2.8k
out and back to the lodge). Not that it matters. They have quite a few more
km than I can ski in a day.

Bob