Old August 9th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Norski

Default Did any skiers get trapped in the Twin Cities bridge collapse?

Jay,
As you know, I live 150 miles north of you, on Lake Superior, right in the
heart of 'big snow country' for the midwest. I've been lucky enough to have
lived here all my 50 years. It sure seems like there is less snow every year
and the ski season is getting shorter and shorter.
While 50 years isn't much of a measurement compared to the age of mankind,
it is easy to see changes looking back over my life span.
Lake Superior is down over 12". That is a huge amount of water. Where did it
all go?
Gave up on my back yard garden, with the drought, it is so dry that the dirt
is like dust. My maple trees seem to be drying up and dying, along with a
few white pines too.
Tracts of land are being sub-divided smaller and smaller, for more and more
homes and vacation homes. Much more traffic.
Normally we get 'lake effect' snow up here. This year there was nothing,
until two freak blizzards in April. It looked to have been perfect for the
'lake effect' snow all winter. Lake Superior was not iced over and temps
were about 20 degrees F. Yet nothing.
I got my engineering degree from Michigan Tech University over in Houghton
and was there the year the record snow fall was set at about 358". This
year, when I went up to Houghton for the Nationals, they were scraping snow
off parking lots to try and hold a race on about 2" of snow, dirt and
leaves.

My parents lived here all their life too. Society is much different than the
way they lived. For a vacation, they drove over to Duluth once or twice a
year. That is 60 miles one way. Maybe went to Mpls every five years, a
really big event for them.
Now people drive to work every day 60 miles each way. We drive long
distances to race every weekend and train. People don't want to change their
lifestyle. I know I don't want to give up the freedom to drive every where.
I'm no scientist, but I'd guess that we're changing the environment so much
that it is just going to keep getting warmer and warmer.

--

Paul Haltvick

"Bjorn A. Payne Diaz" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 7, 2:11 pm, "32 degrees" wrote:

We need to get NASA to send up the shuttles with ping-pong balls or
something that shadows the earth from the sun. It just seems like
there needs to be a big fix...a global fix applied soon.

Jay