Old August 8th 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

Default Did any skiers get trapped in the Twin Cities bridge collapse?

On Aug 7, 2:11 pm, "32 degrees" wrote:
Sorry for the loss Jay. I was wondering the same after the accident.

To bring it back to skiing again though ---

you are right, it might be too warm for snowmaking in the Twin Cities area,
BUT I am totally surprised a "ski tunnel" like in Sweden and Finland hasn't
popped up yet. Private donations, sponsors, vendors, and yearly memberships
surely might make it a worthwhile money maker (or at least break even?)
There seem to be soooooooo many skiers from your area who travel travel
travel... How many times have you skied your brains out on your own self
packed 1-2km loop ??

JKal.

Skiing the 1-2 km loops is like doing laps in the pool. When I was
finally able to ski a 1/2 loop on a local golf course (at 0 F) last
winter, it was really easy to do a 2 hr workout compared to skiing
"the loop." The main benefit of the artificial snow is the consistent
grooming, but it also brings skiers together, so it's really a social
meeting. I think the local skiers would groan about skiing in a
tunnel. Yes, it would be welcome as a way to gain conditioning, but
it's hard to do loops and have motivation for conditioning when you're
uncertain if the races are going to have enough snow to be run. I
think most skiers are doing more running and cycling, and just skiing
when the condtions turn good.

We need to get NASA to send up the shuttles with ping-pong balls or
something that shadows the earth from the sun. It just seems like
there needs to be a big fix...a global fix applied soon.

Jay