Old May 18th 04, 04:02 PM
Brian in SLC

Mike Garrison wrote in message ...
"Michael A. Riches" wrote:

I have used things like trekking poles, mountain axes, tree branches and the
likes, very successfully, for anchoring tents, in all kinds of weather.

My absolute favorite tent anchors are nylon mesh stuff sacks
filled with snow. They hold insanely well. The snow inside
the sack bonds to the snow outside the sack, and you end up
with a web of nylon imbedded in the snow.

Not really any more work than any other kind of deadman; you
don't bury any hardware that you need, and four or five
nylon mesh bags weigh almost nothing.

Me too. I use just standard smallish stuff sacks, about the size of
one built for an ultralight thermarest. Ones I use come with a kind
of daisy chain webbing loop sewn onto the side. Nice. I clip them to
the tent with nylon clips. Seems pretty bomber once the snow sets up.
And...no biggie if they get trashed, seem to work fine even cut to
shreds. Yep, they hold insanely well is how I'd describe them.

Brian in SLC