Old February 3rd 09, 05:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
john elgy

Default Grenoble to Serre Chevalier

Snorer wrote:

Hi, I plan to drive from Grenoble to Villeneuve in 2 weeks and have been
told that the highest point of the journey over the Col du Lautaret is
2000m. Is this often a problem passing or is the road usually clear. Do you
think chains are advised. I arrive 10.00pm so would have little chance to
raid the supermarket for chains. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

They endevour to keep the pass open, but that does not mean that it will
be free of snow. You may need snow chains. There is no way of knowing
this far in advance. You could risk it without buying chains in advance
and if the road has snow on it then go via Gap. I once came over the
Lautaret when it was covered with snow witout chains and it took over 3
very careful hours.

John