Old September 1st 03, 12:36 AM
Gary Jacobson

Default Ice-Skating with poles

It's fun, but there really is little upper body work, unless you are
comfortable with going 80 KPH. with a high turn over.
Not really like skiing as the timing is usually off. Too much glide on good
ice.
Not always true going into the wind.

Never found smooth enough ice that had up-hills.

It is "play" and some of that is good, but I wouldn't do it as primary ski
training.

Better, might be to get rid of the poles and "free skate". That could be
better duplication of snow free skating.

Most of the same arguments against inline skating on flats with fast wheels
apply.

Maybe don't sharpen your skates, or skate when there is 3 cm. of wet snow on
the ice.

Watch out for cracks. The most serious sport injuries I have suffered have
been while speed skating.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY where for the past 10 years when it has been cold enough for
ice, we have had too much snow to skate, with rare exceptions.

"Jeff Potter" wrote in message
.. .
We used to do this for a couple years when it got real cold around here

but
didn't snow. It was better than nothing. I would say it was almost good
training. : ) Something like hillstriding with poles seems a lot more
specific, offhand.

Fredrik wrote:

Hi,

The posts about inline skating with poles to train for skiing made me
think of this: would skating with poles also be good as a ski-training?
Or does it go too fast on good ice? Ik know many people in Sweden skate
with poles, but they only use them for the hard parts, and my idea is to
use them all the time...
I will try it when there's ice here, is there anyone who tried it

before?

Fredrik

--

Jeff Potter