Old January 3rd 07, 10:52 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Jeremy

Default Is my heel dragging the snow?

wrote:

I'd be interested in hearing from others on here if:

1 - When learning to ride, they were told to make turns by twisting the
board by moving the feet in opposite direction

I had meant to write up my experience trying this a few weeks ago, but rock
damage has kept me rather busy...

No, I didn't learn to ride this way, nor had I heard of it until it was
mentioned either here or on rec.skiing.alpine a month or two ago.
I think I was taught to pivot, and engage the uphill edge. Carving, I think,
came as a result of shortening the pivot and applying greater edge pressure
sooner in the turn.

The result: Twisting didn't work for me. The best I could manage was a
slightly staccato version of rolling from edge to edge, and back to front
releasing one turn and starting the next. Applying force to the front half
of the board resulted in peeling off the pressure on the opposite edge of
the rear half before the new inside edge made noteworthy snow contact.
I don't have a particularly stiff board, but perhaps low mass, soft boots
and high binding angles conspire to defeat this technique.

Maybe this would have been acceptable to someone just learning. For me, it
was clunky and slow.

2 - If they now use this technique in their own riding.

Tried it, over the course of a few runs on intermediate slopes, and decided
to discard it.