Old March 28th 06, 07:33 AM

BTW, if memory serves, I believe Steira already has one World Cup win,
defeating Katerina Neumanova in the '04-'05 season. Taxing my memory
further, I think she dogged Neumanova until they reached a steep climb
and then, sensing she had the stronger legs, took the lead and the win.

Your memory is at least 50% right she won the pursuit in Pragelato last
year, but - if *my* memory is right on the remaining half, it was a
sprint finish on the straight.

Alas:
http://www.fasterskier.com/racing1815.html

(Anyway, she obviously struck many observers then as the one to watch.
The FIS site tells us that there is another Steira, a four years
younger Nina, whose results so far aren't all that remarkable, but who
knows...)

I'm pretty new to this site - is it common for a race to elicit such a
remarkably long train of speculation?

Absolutely no! And it is especially becuse it is so very rare that
almost everyone who ever engages in such speculation in his mind wanted
to grab the occasion:-)

Anders