Old January 17th 05, 07:45 PM
Steve Haigh

Colin Irvine wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 09:33:08 +0100, Ace squeezed
out the following:

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 14:55:21 +0100, "Ivan Rafn"
wrote:

Please be aware of new DIN/Bindings Settings proposed by french scientists;
Medicin de Montagne.

http://www.bernard-sport.be/FixationAfnor.html#tableau

Intersting. There were a couple of methods posted on here recently, at
least one of which suggested a much higher setting than I normally
use. This one seems about right, depending on whether I'm being a "Bon
skieur, ski d'attaque sur tous terrains" or a "Très fort skieur sur
terrains engagés" with settings of 8 and 9.5 respectively, which
pretty much match what I'd normally use.

I'm puzzled by the way the best skiers tend to have their bindings set
really high. I would have thought they of all people would be letting
the skis do all the work and could therefore get away with the lowest
settings.

It's a kind of yes and no thing... yes, they could ski with lower
settings and in theory not release. In practise the better you are the
more you will push yourself. In my case I crank the bindings up a bit
(nothing stupid, only on 8 1/2) because I know that on occasison I will
take a hard landing in the bumps or end up trying to steer a turn in
some crud. In the past bindings have released on me in these situations.
The reason I don't go higher is because I don't ski (or train) enough to
have the leg strength to protect my knees - if I skied more I would have
them higher I think. I certainly used to ski with them a lot higher, I
wasn't a better skier but my legs were a lot stronger after a few full
seasons of skiing.