Old September 17th 03, 07:30 PM
Rick Grubin

Kurt Knisely wrote:
Gary S. says...

The National Ski Patrol does a number of courses, including Level I
and II Avalanche at various relevant locations around the country.

You know, I've taken both NSP avie courses and courses geared towards
backcountry travelers. As a backcountry skier and NOT a ski patroller, I felt
that the courses more geared toward the backcountry skier were more my style.
YMMV.

Avalanche courses hosted by NSP backcountry patrols are typically quite good.
The Tahoe Backcountry Patrol is known for excellent courses. Choose wisely.

American Avalanche Association www.avalanche.org/~aaap/
course curricula are heavily based on the NSP curriculum.

As others have pointed out:

Alpine Skills International www.alpineskills.com

Mountain Adventure Seminars www.mtadventure.com

are nearby, and teach the AIARE curriculum www.avtraining.org