Old March 19th 09, 04:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bdubya

Default Natasha Richardson

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 08:00:22 -0700, "Norm"
wrote:

"Evojeesus" wrote in message
On Mar 19, 1:50 pm, Walt wrote:
Evojeesus wrote:
Ok folks, just wear your helmet when you're skiing or on a motorbike,
the life you save might be your own...

Dr. Eugene Flamm, chairman of neurosurgery at Montefiore
Medical Center in New York, said there is little evidence
in this case that a helmet would have warded off
Richardson's injury.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Health/Min...7116273&page=1

The helmet can reduce g-forces to the head and if g-forces caused the
thing, the helmet may well have helped, whether or not there's
documented evidence of that or not. I read some of the discussion on
the subject and people claimed that there are dozens of concussion-
injuries per ski resort per year, the vast majority with people who
were not wearing helmets.

=====================

I agree its a good idea to wear a helmet. I wear a helmet. I strongly
suggest to my kids they wear helmets. (one of two does, the other is an
adult now and makes his own choices) I've seen head injuries in non helmet
wearing skiers.

However, I read where this accident is rekindling discussion regarding
making helmet use mandatory. I have a problem telling people they must wear
a helmet. Whats next, body armour? Cut down all the trees?

Of course it will rekindle such discussion; celebrity deaths are funny
that way. IIRC, after Sonny Bono there was talk about whether resorts
should offer glade skiing. Hopefully it'll go no further. I wear a
helmet while skiing, but like having the option of not wearing it on
any given day.

Sad about Ms. Richardson; sad about every other ski death, too.

bw