Old September 9th 09, 04:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ[_2_]

Default Whiteface versus Sugarbush?

"kevin" wrote in message
I have skied three times in the Adirondacks; twice at Gore and once at
Whiteface. Gore was solid ice both times, while Whiteface was beautifully
groomed snow. However, I am told that I got really lucky at Whiteface;
that it is normally like what I had at Gore.

This winter we are thinking of driving an extra hour to go to Sugarbush
because it is reputed to have better conditions than the Adirondacks. It
is a long drive and an expensive trip, so I would really like good
conditions!!

I would appreciate comments (preferably informed...) about any of this.
Thanks.

Kevin,
What part of the east are you driving from? I drive up from S.Jersey...
When conditions are good Gore is really nice and when I skied both Gore &
Whiteface on the same weekend normally Gore was better. Both can get icy
and you would need to watch the weather and wind reports. What are you
looking for; groomer, moguls, trees, terrain parks, black diamond runs? Are
you or your group skiers, boarders or mix. My favorite place is Sunday
River, ME (1500-2600' vert) is 9 hrs from me. Wild Cat, NH (2200' vert) is
nice 8 hrs, Killington & Pico, VT (1400-2800 verts) can be very nice 7 hrs
( look up VTSkier), Magic Mountain, VT (1000-1500' verts) 6 hrs, small but
nice skier mountain but they were supposed to install a terrain park. I
hope this helps...

JQ
Dancing on the edge