Old February 26th 04, 11:25 AM
Edmunde Lee

Default noob questions

(cipher) wrote in message . com...
I've gone snowboarding 3 times now and I am officially hooked. I'm in the
process of researching gear and would appreciate suggestions. Obviously a
noob so freestyle isn't in my vocabulary yet and may never be so I'm
thinking an all mountain board would suit me best. My first choice would be
a Burton Custom as it seems that my abilities could grow with this board for
a long time to come. I'm 6' 2", 175 lbs, shoe size is 10 - 10.5. Would a
160 board be long enough? The rental gear I've used all had step in
bindings and I love the convenience but I've read they don't offer the same
control as the traditional strap bindings. Flow bindings look like a very
nice alternative - are they as advertised? (control of strap bindings,
convenience of step ins) TIA

Flows are a good thing.

I personally use a Burton step-in system.. but mainly because I
scored a really good deal on boots and bindings. Problem with most
(all) step in systems is that you need to buy the boot specifically
for the binding. Flows, and strap bindings, you can use a multitude
of different boots. Do they have less control? Perhaps... but
probably nothing you're going to notice until your skill level
increases. I ride pretty hard with my setup, focusing more on
carving, and high speed turns, and I do ok. Mind you, I have made a
few subtle improvements, using a few straps on my boots to make them
stiffer.

A Burton Custom is not a bad choice for you, and 160 sounds about
right as well... just don't be so quick to jump on the popular brand
name bandwagon without considering the other fine makers out there...
not to say anything bad against Burton..

Break a leg...