Old December 11th 03, 03:22 PM
chas

Default Calculating leg-distance (binding separation) for tall boarders ?

I'm over 6'2" and my brother's 6'4". I ride a 185 Burton and my
brother was last year riding a 190+ board (can't remember for sure).
Other than his size, you can always spot my brother from a distance -
his stance is so 'upright' and he says the same about me.

Usually I board with the bindings in the 'middle' position (ie. not
the closest together, and not the furthest apart) on the Burton
'diamond'. But on the last day of boarding last season I moved them
apart to one notch either way - it felt soooo much more comfortable,
in a more crouched stand, and somewhat faster (though I suspect that
was just a perception, in the same way as driving a sports car feels
faster b/c you're closer to the ground).

I don't know why it never occured to me to try that in the past... but
am definitely going to start with my bindings wide this year. Just
wondering, are their any guidelines for this ? I would have thought
that the wider the better ... a lower centre of gravity, more bounce
in the knees - but I'm also aware that there's rarely a free lunch, so
what do you give up by going wide?

Thank you

Chas