Old April 2nd 08, 07:03 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic,rec.backcountry,rec.skiing.backcountry
Martin Thornquist

Default Sledge, Pulk?

[ jeff potter ]

With any kind of heavy load a suspended pole is needed otherwise you
have a wretched sense of starting/stopping all that momentum no matter
what your mode of travel. Maybe there's a place for a rigid pole,
though.

I've heard that people travelling over glaciers with a really heavy
pulk (think skiing to the South Pole) sometimes use really long, rigid
poles. The theory being that if you fall through a snow bridge the
pulk stays on top and the poles hold you up. I'm a bit skeptical, as
you usually make a big hole if you fall through with skis on, but it
might be better than nothing.

Around here (Norway) many people ski with their small kids in pulks. I
think the poles currently are aluminum mostly, and they're hinged in
the middle for easier transportation. This is the most popular one:

http://fjellpulken.no/

Martin
--
"An ideal world is left as an exercise to the reader."
-Paul Graham, On Lisp