Old January 22nd 08, 04:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic, rec.backcountry, rec.skiing.backcountry
telemark vinny

Default Sledge, Pulk?

On Jan 21, 5:51 pm, BGhouse wrote:
mccannam sed:

On Jan 20, 9:15 pm, BGhouse wrote:
mccannam sed:

Has anyone built a sledge or pulk for towing your gear while xc
skiing?

Just putting the fitting touches on a pulk I'll be using during a Ski
Patrol Mountain Travel and Rescue course. Here's my write-up on it:

http://webpages.charter.net/bghouse/SkiPulk/

Doesn't address your tracked trail requirement.

Thanks BG, that's useful site for building a pulk, I wish I would have
seen it sooner. I'm using the 7' pvc pipes for my person to sled
connection. I figure if it gets too cold I'm not going, but if I'm out
there and then it gets cold....

It seems a whole lot of folk use PVC without a problem ... Maybe carry
a simple repair kit with some kind of sleeve that could be
glued/taped/clamped over a break. OTOH, I plan to use a tow line as a
back-up to the tracers.

Funny thing, the Erapro sled is made about 20 minutes from my house
yet I only found out about from you.

Ain't that the way it is. I spent considerable time looking for a local
source, then ended up ordering it from REI.

I'm going to add some suspenders to my waist belt as I discovered that
there is a significant downward pull on the belt that had me hiking it
up every once in a while.

I've heard of that. One solution I heard was to attach it to a day
pack. I'll keep that in mind during sea-trails!

Good luck.

--
BG - W Michigan

If you are jerry rigging a pulk set up- check out the Chariot ski set
up and how the telescopic poles attach (at an angle to the pulk), as
well as the beefiness of the hip belt (any large pack belt would
work)- I find it works very nicely and it is not cheating to look at
some proven designs : )
sounds like fun!
cheers,