Old August 18th 16, 02:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Mountain High threatened by wildfire

On Wednesday, August 17, 2016 at 3:02:08 PM UTC-7, The Real Bev wrote:
On 08/17/2016 10:42 AM, Richard Henry wrote:
The entire community of Wrightwood, which is more or less the base of
Mountain High ski area, is being evacuated by a large wildfire "0%
contained". I found out about it when my wife called asking for
advice on an alternate route because I-15 and 138 were both closed in
the Cajon Pass area.

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4962/

I wish they'd provide better maps. The main map shows an older fire,
with the Bluecut fire just being a dot.

I went to Vegas with my daughter the Tour Goddess over the weekend,
coming back Sunday. Miserable traffic, the AC on the bus almost crapped
out and it was 114F at some point in the journey.

An LA TV station that a McDonalds near the intersection of the 2
highways burned. I could post something nasty about every cloud
having a silver lining, but I must state that they have always had a
clean restroom.

LV is interesting and spectacular, but not worth the gas to get there.
Skywalk and what you have to do to get there is likewise a ripoff, but
the Grand Canyon is always nice, as is Hoover Dam. I swear they chewed
away a LOT of the wall below the dam to build some sort of multi-level
structure on the Nevada side. I'm pretty sure that wall of the canyon
was solid rock 40 years ago :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
"I just realized how bad the economy really is. I recently

My wife was in LV for a few days in business, and the party she was working with provided her and her friends a suite at the Trump Tower. My wife reciprocated by making everyone a Filipino meal one night. I was stuck here in our new place on the golf course, where I was using a meat thermometer to measure the outside temperature.

A better map -- http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/photos/CABDF...45.133-CDT.pdf

(which may take a while to load)