Old April 3rd 08, 07:28 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic,rec.backcountry,rec.skiing.backcountry
Bernd Nebendahl

Default Sledge, Pulk?

People trying solo traversals and winter ascents of Denali have tried
horizontally carrying ladders or long strong poles (and back packs). The
advantage on temperate/continental glaciers unlike ice sheets is that
you have an idea of flow direction and some sense (but not always) how
crevasses run (rememeber: not always like bends/turns).

I have also read (source?) that some people use two long poles that are put
together to form a cross and attach this to their hips, so you don't have to
worry about the directions of the crevasses (as long as the crevasses are
not bigger than the cross). However I have a hard time imaging how help
yourself once such a cross has stopped you from falling (remember you are
still soloing).

Bernd