Old February 11th 08, 11:27 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe, uk.rec.motorcycles
TOG@Toil

Default Paging Ace - you are now permitted to smile

On 11 Feb, 11:45, Matt T wrote:
On 10 Feb, 19:39, (The Older Gentleman)
wrote:

YTC#1 wrote:
On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 08:47:18 -0800, TOG@Toil wrote:

The snow in the Pyrenees is crap, for the second year running, while
it's great in the Alps. Casting around without much hope for a cheap

Global warming takes its toll........

As I said to you earlier, I'm a convert to the Alps after this year.

Oh, I've always preferred skiing the Alps. But with a family of four, on
a tight budget, and confined to school holiday times, it's not really
been an option before.

I'm amazed there wer so many chalets vacant this year. Seriously: whole
chalets with no takers.

Up here in the high resorts we're assuming that families with young
children are choosing lower resorts this year because the snow's been
so good everywhere so why chance the weather and the altitude. Still,
it's pretty rammed out here in Tignes at the moment judging by the
lift queues and the number of children about, and I hear the ski
schools are all booked out. Zero degree isotherm is on 2000m today and
the sun's glorious. If it wasn't for the crowds it'd be pretty
perfect!

Ain't it always the way. "It would be more popular if it wasn't so
crowded...."

I suppose the bookings might be down due to the 'economic downturn'
everyone keeps going on about. Or maybe bookings are just more spread
out due to the split Easter.

The early Easter might indeed have some effect.

The Pyrenees are looking dire. Check this webcam link from Saint Lary

http://pv.viewsurf.com/?id=38

And they are forecasting a week of high temperatures, with one tiny
downward spike and 1cm of snow mid-week. Our reckoning was that it
would be all skied out by next weekend.

So a sudden decision, but probably for the best.