Old May 30th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Roller skiing protective gear

Without boring you with my story of rollerskiing, here is a list of
all the safety equipment and techniques I use to stay safe:
* Helmet - Well duh! But you would be surprised how many young bucks
I see rollerskiing around my loop (Medicine Lake in Plymouth, MN)
without this basic necessity.
* Weightlifting Gloves - Last year, I started looking for an
alternative to the overpriced, poor quality "rollerski gloves". While
always frustrated with them, I was also starting to develop wrist
problems from the shock of the pole hitting the pavement. I found
some leather weightlifting gloves (http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/
product/index.jsp?
productId=15907&cp=694002&view=all&parentPage=fami ly&searchId=694002)
that were cheap, had a tough leather palm (durable), and a long strap
to wrap around my wrist to absorb some of the shock and protect them
from falls. It make a huge difference.
* Speed Control - Speed control is very important to safe
rollerskiing. Speed Reducers and slow wheels help. Don't be in a
hurry, if you want to work hard, do it uphill. On some downhills, I
put one rollerski out in the grass to help me control my speed.
* Monitor Trail Conditions - Don't skate on a wet trail, go extra slow
if there's gravel or a lot of debris on the trail, and watch for
leaves they can be slippery even if the trail is dry.
* Know Your Route - Making sure you have grassy bailout spots where
you might need them. Be sure there are no blind road crossings on any
sort of downhill incline where you might not be able to stop.
* Warn people as you approach - Give others plenty of time to get out
of the way as you come through, especially going downhill where you
can't stop if you had to.

Based on my falling experience (more than I care to admit), the areas
that get hurt the most are my fingers and wrists, always from catching
myself from the fall. I've also gotten some roadrash in odd places,
but there's not much defense against that. I don't use knee or elbow
protection and I don't think it's necessary because injuries in those
areas are not life-threatening and are actually very rare based on my
experience, so I don't see any reason to go overboard to protect
them.

Jon