Old May 10th 07, 01:17 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Travis

Default Roller skiing protective gear

On May 9, 8:01 pm, "Jeff Clausen" wrote:
As a long-time lurker, this thread seems to be deja-vu all over again. I
think JFT played the foil marvelously during the last go around if memory
serves me correctly.

jc

"Randy AKA Cubby" wrote in ... This is normally a hugely supportive,

serious snippage

Wow. This certainly has been an interesting thread.

protection beyond gloves (which are needed to protect the hands from
blistering when poleing anyways) and a helmet. As many other posters
said, there are inherent risks involved in any active sport, and it's
a risk vs. reward analysis that must be preformed by each
participant. I learned very early on that falling on rollerskis is
NOT a very good option. So I take precautions when I start the
rollerski season by skiing on easy terrain and gradually build back to
going full out again on the road (and FWIW I consider myself an expert
skiier). I also have to support some of the comments about the
negative effect that too much fear of falling can have on technique,
as well as the detriment that too much cumbersom equipment can have on
technique. With that being said, I can't imagine that I would
continute to rollerski if I felt I needed as much protection as you
are talking about. From my 15 plus years of experience as a fully
certified alpine ski instructor, former club racer and high school
coach, I can say that one of the most limiting factors, performance
wise, for any skiier is fear. As others have recommended, you
probably would benefit more from addressing the reasons why you feel
the need for so much protective gear. And I'm not intending to be
condesending here at all. But if you are afraid of falling, or your
skills are such that falling is a likely possiblity you may seriously
want to consider alternative training, alternative rollerski routes,
or a combination of the two.

To JFT: Though I do somewhat agree with some of your points I think
you came out of the gate a wee bit harsh on the OP. (Though he did
turne up the hyperbole in the Vietnam, toe tag, body bag, etc.
response.)