Old February 19th 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Default Can I set my own bindings?

down_hill wrote:
Walt wrote:

Think of it this way: I'm testing a binding. I place a boot in the
binding and apply a torque of, say, 50 Newton Meters. The binding
doesn't release. I've just described a situation where there is
torque but no motion. Do you say there is no torque here? If so, how
does one ever test a binding?

What are the springs doing? Are they not being compressed motion?

As you increase the torque from zero to 50 the springs compress, and
there is a small amount of motion. Once you reach 50 and stop
increasing the torque the system reaches a steady state where there is
no motion. At that point there is torque but no motion.

I was trying to think of a torque but no motion example...

Here's a more visceral example: pick up a brick and hold it straight
out in front of you with your arm horizontal. Hold it still. Then
please try to explain, without allowing the brick to move, how there is
no torque since there is no motion.

//Walt