Old January 30th 07, 02:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
jgs

Default Blood volume?

Joe,
I had a very successful operation to rid myself of veins like you
describe. Recovery time is nearly nothing, on your feet in hours,
running within a week. The guy that did my leg was no cowboy, really
took his time, mapped the whole venous system and FIXED my leg.
I would be happy to tell you about it. I pump allot of blood through
my leg - I'm training for my first ultra - only dream prior to the
operation.
/john

On Jan 26, 12:31 pm, wrote:
Hi All,

I have a very serious set of varicose veins in my calf, and I have
recently started using a tight support stocking occasionaly. I have not
used it while cycling or skiing, untli today. Today I went sking (both
classic and freestyle) and I felt like I was unstoppable. It was a
strange feeling. I do not recall ever being so on top of my game while
skiing before. It was a strange feeling.

I estimate I normally have 3-4 deciliters (or more) of blood sitting
pooled in these veins. Normally the blood just sits there and fluids
accumulate in my leg in a grotesque swelling manner. With these support
hose, the pooling is virtually non-existant. Is it possible that this
"extra" 3-4 dl circulating somehow improved my oxygen transport such
that I felt like da man today?

Joseph