Old January 26th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Blood volume?

Hi All,

I have a very serious set of varicose veins in my calf, and I have
recently started using a tight support stocking occasionaly. I have not
used it while cycling or skiing, untli today. Today I went sking (both
classic and freestyle) and I felt like I was unstoppable. It was a
strange feeling. I do not recall ever being so on top of my game while
skiing before. It was a strange feeling.

I estimate I normally have 3-4 deciliters (or more) of blood sitting
pooled in these veins. Normally the blood just sits there and fluids
accumulate in my leg in a grotesque swelling manner. With these support
hose, the pooling is virtually non-existant. Is it possible that this
"extra" 3-4 dl circulating somehow improved my oxygen transport such
that I felt like da man today?

Joseph