Old February 17th 10, 05:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
David Dermott

Default Scandanavian Nordic sports magazines?

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010, jeff potter wrote:

Anyone know of any? Website links? I see there's Langrenn.com. Do any
have english versions?

I'd like to see a magazine (or site) that shows the whole range of
Nordic sport and culture.

There are magazines about competitive sports
and there are magazines about "Friluftsliv" (non-competitive outdoor
recreation). I am more interested in the latter.

The official magazine of Oslo's Skiforeningen is "Snow & Ski"
but it deals with 4 season friluftsliv. I have 2 winter issues.
The first I bought from a newsstand. The second was sent by an
internet friend , he is one of the leaders in their
turskøyting group (ie nordic-skating). Joining Skiforeningen
would be worth it just to get their magazine, but I'm not sure
about the fees for overseas memberships- maybe Terje knows?

I bought a Swedish cycling magazine "Cykla" which deals mainly
with "motionslopp" cycling (like non-competitive "century rides" in the
US).
But it had a interesting "culture" item about "saltgurka" (salted-gherkins)-
the official snack of Vätternrundan!

http://www.cykla.com/

Outside Magazine has a Swedish version, but it is basically
the same as the American version, and not about typical nordic
friluftsliv.

In spite of the name similarity and the ads for "Outside", the
"net-zine" Utsidan is not connected to "Outside". They have
interesting forums about most friluftsliv activities.
http://www.utsidan.se

"Acceptable languages for posting are Swedish, Norwegian, Danish and
English but expect the replies to be in Swedish!"

The BIG names in the Swedish skating scene are on their skating forum:
http://www.utsidan.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=12

HINT: if you learn to read Norwegian "Bokmål" you should
have little problem reading Swedish and Danish as well.
Reading Norwegian "nynorsk" is a bit more difficult for me.
And the book "Norwegian in 3 Months" really worked!
Actually in less than 3 months I was familiar with
most aspects of grammar. Building a vocabulary takes longer,
even in one's native language.

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
WWW pages: http://www.dermott.ca/index.html