Old February 27th 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Booker Bense[_2_]

Default Elevation gain?

In article ,
Terje Mathisen wrote:
Camilo wrote:
Just got a new toy: Garmin Forerunner 305. I went on one of my
favorite skis and came up with the following data.

Distance: 25.5.km
Total ascent: 885 m (2,900 ft?)

If the ascent is spread over just a few large climbs, then GPS data will
be pretty good.

For rolling terrain, with lots of small (2-10 m) ups and downs otoh, you
really need a gps with barometer assistance to get good measurements.

The Forerunner has a barometer, in general it's pretty accurate
wrt to altitude even in rolling terrain. Trees and very steep
canyons give it a bit of trouble, but for training purposes it
works better than any previous GPS I've tried. I was poking
around the FIS site the other day and that's about the max
climbing for a "qualified[1]" FIS 30K classic race course.

_ Booker C. Bense

[1]- the actual term they use escapes me at the moment, (
homoulgated?) it's a word I've never seen used in any other
context.